Now you have found your dream home and are preparing for your move, whilst you are sorting out your belongings (unless you were really good and de-cluttered before selling!) now would be the ideal time to get rid of all those things you purchased on a whim and always thought would come in handy but have never actually got round to using (we all have them)! Start off by separating what really is rubbish to what could be given to a charity shop. You can get yourself a supply of boxes from your local supermarket and why not save up all those free newspapers and leaflets that come through the door – they could come in really handy for wrapping around breakable items.
If funds are tight and you are moving yourself, you need to prepare in advance by hiring a van – make sure you get a van big enough to store your belongings without having to make too many journeys, but not too big that you give yourself a nightmare trying to park it!
If you are able to, get a reputable professional company to help you – they know what they are doing and will take a great deal of the stress and strain of moving away from you. You can get them to pack it all for you, or alternatively pack the majority yourself and leave the difficult and heavy items to the experts.
A good guide would be to:
• Hire your removal company at least two weeks before you are planning on moving
• Check that your removal company is a member of the British Association of Removers (The BAR has the only Code of Practice in the moving industry that’s approved and monitored by the Trading Standards Institute).
• If possible get a couple of quotes before making your decision and check if there are any discounts available for moving mid-week as opposed to the end of the week
• Make sure your removal company have adequate moving insurance – you are after all entrusting them with your most precious possessions
• Make a list of your possessions to try and make sure that you don’t leave anything behind
It is always really helpful to try and let your removal company now well in advance if you are moving large items of furniture which won’t go through the door.
Given them an idea of roughly how many boxes will need to be packed – it will help in planning how long your move is going to take.
Make sure you give clear directions for them to get to your new property – the last thing you want is to be waiting at your new home wondering where on earth all your belongings are!
Most importantly – make sure you have easy access to the kettle, tea, coffee and milk, in readiness for that well deserved cuppa at the end of the day.
If you have sold through FRASER WOOD, Walsall’s longest established Estate Agency, you won’t even have to hunt through boxes for mugs to drink from – we will have presented two to you when you hand over your old keys!
Now all you have to do is find a chair or a box (!), sit down, relax and enjoy your drink!